Get Involved – Volunteer
As well as a number of organisational-support tasks for volunteers, our caseworkers are all volunteers too.
What makes a Successful Caseworker?
If you have experience of advocacy and bureaucracy, if you have patience and focus, then being a caseworker may be for you. If you have specific experience in any of the subjects listed below, that would be additionally beneficial (further details of specific expertise are included on the Application Form).
Your experience and accumulated skills will be a large part of what we are looking for – but there will certainly be areas of your clients’ problems with which you may have only a passing knowledge, and therefore it is essential that you commit to acquiring further skills and knowledge through our Induction and Training sessions. In doing so you will acquire new essential knowledge and proficiency and you will also learn how regular reporting and interaction within the organisation are part of the very successful “Paperweight approach.”
We will meet with you, and if we feel that this role matches what you are seeking, you will be invited to enlist – subject to references and mandatory background checks.
Purpose of the role
To provide practical assistance to members of the community in a time of crisis.
- Interviewing clients, both face-to-face and by telephone or by other remote means, letting the client explain their enquiry and helping the client to set priorities
- Finding, interpreting and communicating the relevant information and exploring options and implications in order that the client can come to a decision
- Acting, where necessary, on behalf of the client, with their permission, advocating, negotiating, drafting or writing letters or making appropriate referrals
- Completing clear and accurate case records.
- A desire to help people
- An ability to communicate empathetically, respectfully and with understanding
- Recognising the issue/s and supporting the client to take appropriate action/s
- An ability to research and apply relevant information to the presenting issues
- Keeping up-to-date by attending appropriate training and undertaking essential reading
- Attending internal and multi-disciplinary meetings as appropriate
- Being open, approachable and non-judgmental
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing
- Ability to understand and explain complex information in easily understood terms
- An understanding of and commitment to confidentiality and its limitations
- Ability to input data accurately
- A positive attitude to self-development and critical assessment
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team
- Ability to recognise the limits and boundaries of the role.
- A competent level of IT literacy
We are always keen to meet a whole cross-section of potential volunteers from all walks of life, though we are urgently seeking experience in the following areas:
Volunteer Welfare Benefits Caseworker
We are looking to recruit volunteer welfare benefits caseworkers to guide and support clients with all aspects of benefits related queries including entitlement, claims, mandatory reconsiderations and appeals. For this role you will need an in-depth up to date knowledge and experience of Welfare Benefits.
Volunteer Employment Caseworker
We are looking to recruit volunteer employment caseworkers to guide and support clients with all aspects of employment enquiries, including unfair dismissal, redundancy, breach of contract and discrimination. For this role you will need in-depth up to date knowledge and experience of Employment Law.
Volunteer Family Law Caseworker
We are looking to recruit additional volunteer private family law caseworkers to guide our clients with all aspects of divorce, children contact and financial settlements. We also assist clients in applying for non-molestation orders. This may also include interaction with the Beth Din to facilitate the giving and receiving the Get. For this role you will need an in-depth up to date knowledge and experience of Family Law.
Volunteer Housing Caseworker
We are looking to recruit volunteer housing caseworkers to guide and support clients with all aspects of housing enquiries. For this role you will need in-depth up to date knowledge and experience of housing law including homelessness and including Landlord & Tenant in the social, housing association and private sectors.
For all volunteering roles, please complete this online Volunteer Application Form